- It is the world's first personal computer chip manufactured using cutting-edge 5-nanometer process technology, with an incredible 16 billion transistors.
Apple being the powerhouse for advanced technology and innovation is always looked upon by millions of people around the globe for its seamless experience and breakthrough services.
Apple products are amazing and they make the quote “ Apple of my eye” for millions of tech-savvy people around the globe. Apple has always empowered people with its range of products and services.
By launching and also upgrading different product ranges and software every year, Apple has been making its breakthrough presence in the news and one such launch was a big move from Apple when it launched the M1 Chip in 2020.
M1 Chip was the first powerful chip designed by Apple for Mac systems.M1 Chip packed many powerful technologies into a single chip with features of unified memory architecture improving performance and efficiency.
Digging into the M1 Chip range
- The M1 has an eight-core CPU which includes four high-performance and four high-efficiency cores.
- It brings the Apple Neural Engine and 6x faster GPU performance.
- Launched in 2021, M1 Pro uses 5- nanometer process technology with a pack of 33.7 billion transistors which is 2x the amount in M1.
- It has a 10-core CPU which includes eight high-performance cores and two high-efficiency cores which makes it 70 percent faster than M1.
- Launched in 2021, M1 Max has the same 10-core CPU as M1 Pro and it adds a massive 57 billion transistors making it 70 percent more than M1 Pro and 3.5x more than M1.
As said in Apple Newsroom :
“M1 has transformed our most popular systems with incredible performance, custom technologies, and industry-leading power efficiency. No one has ever applied a system-on-a-chip design to a pro system until today with M1 Pro and M1 Max,” said Johny Srouji, Apple’s senior vice president of Hardware Technologies. “
With massive gains in CPU and GPU performance, up to six times the memory bandwidth, a new media engine with ProRes accelerators, and other advanced technologies, M1 Pro and M1 Max take Apple silicon even further, and are unlike anything else in a pro notebook.”
- Launched in 2022, M1 Ultra has an extraordinarily powerful 20-core CPU with 16 high-performance cores and four high-efficiency cores with a whopping 114 billion transistors specially designed for Mac Studio. (Mac Desktop)
M1 Chip and Mac
- All the M1 range of chips are made on the same 5nm process technology.
- M1 Chip is present in Mac Mini, MacBook Air, MacBook Pro (13-inch) & iMac (24-inch).
- The M1 Pro is the base for the MacBook Pro range i.e Mac Book Pro 14-inch and 16-inch
- The M1 Max is an upgraded version of the M1 Pro and is available in Mac Book Pro Range.
- M1 Ultra goes further from all previous Chips and offers the maximum amount of processing power and is used for Mac Studio.
M Chip Range for Developers:
Coding Experience and Compilation
Best Used by Developers
M1 Leads with M2 adding to the power
Apple always adds lots of value to its product line, making it to the list of most used around the world. M1 being one of them is surely the best chip by Apple and yet in line, M2 being launched on June 6, 2022, is the next generation of Apple silicon.
M2 is made of 20 billion transistors and is constructed using second-generation 5-nanometer technology, with an 18 percent faster CPU than M1.
The M2 Chip is the next generation to M1 Chip and is launched in MacBook Air and 13-inch MacBook Pro.
As said in Apple Newsroom:
“We’re so excited to bring our new M2 chip to the world’s two most popular laptops — the MacBook Air and 13-inch MacBook Pro,” said Greg Joswiak, Apple’s senior vice president of Worldwide Marketing. “Completely redesigned around M2, MacBook Air is thinner, lighter, and faster with a bigger display, better camera, and all-day battery life, in four beautiful finishes. Only with Apple silicon can you build such a thin and light notebook with a fanless design, and this combination of performance and capabilities. M2 also comes to the 13-inch MacBook Pro, featuring incredible performance, ProRes acceleration, up to 24GB of memory, and up to 20 hours of battery life — making our most portable pro notebook even better.”
Thus M2 brings more power to the M1 Chip set with many advanced and upgraded features added in MacBook Air with redesigned features especially around M2 and MacBook 13-inch Pro with more enhanced pro performance.
M1 or M2 – Apple amazes us ! A definite go for coders towards being a part of the Apple Mac range !